Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I'm Starting this Blog

I truly believe that everybody is "musical." Whether or not you think you have an ear for it, talent, or ability to understand it, music is one of the most euphoric and mind-altering experiences humans can relate too. I mean, who's anti good music? Though everyone's taste is in some way different, I believe it is the one "universal language" that all people can understand.

Being in the classical music world, I decided to write this blog because I'm in constant search for music. I'm always listening to it, and I thought a blog would be a good forum to discuss/share new bands,artists, rare finds, etc. I welcome all types, and I encourage anyone reading this to share any new music. This blog is more or less directed to those poor music conservatory students who are so jaded and starved to hear something different to take them out of their world (although, this is a problem that is inherent in not just music conservatory students, but humankind).

I will primarily focus on things that catch my attention, discuss exactly why I like what I'm hearing (in basic musical terms), and try to create an understanding of what makes a good song attractive to the ear. Granted, you can't always pinpoint why you like a song, but it's worth trying, and ultimately rewarding. I'll concentrate on one or two songs in each post. I encourage that you listen to the song, find out what you like about it and make points of comparison to my thoughts, and then listen to it again. Trust me, it makes a song/piece of music so much more interesting once you pinpoint what it is that you like about it. Phew, anyways, let's get started!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes! this is wonderful.

hope we can hang out soon,
geoff pope

Mary Go Round said...

Thanks Geoff! I need suggestions, so suggest away. Hope things are well :)